Skip License Permit Requirements

If your skip is going to be located on a public road, or any council owned property (including grass verges) then you will need a skip hire licensing permit from the council to allow this to happen.

By law, skips can only be placed on the highway with a licensed permit, correct signage and lights. You will not need a skip permit if you’re putting the skip entirely on private land.


If you cannot find a suitable off-road location on private land, Nelson will arrange a skip permit for you, along with lighting on the skip to comply with regulations. The cost of the licensed permit depends on the local authority.


Alternatively, if you have limited space we offer a skip hire ‘wait and load’ service, enabling you to dispose of your waste without any delay or hassle. Same day and next day response times are available.

If you need further advice, please call us directly on 01264 357 627 and a member of our team will welcome the chance to help you based on your requirements.